The CHS Eagle Vision

Where Rare Eagles Fly.

Where Rare Eagles Fly.

The CHS Eagle Vision

The CHS Eagle Vision

The CHS Eagle Vision

Crownpoint Colorguard goes M.I.A

Shondiin+Morgan%2C+Mikaela+Hope+Silva%2C+Rain+Venice+Alexandra+Malunes%2C+Simone+Tom%2C+Jewel+Prettyweasel%2C+Latanya+Chavez%2C+Ellianna+Tsosie%2C+and+Tyrosen+Woody+pictured+at+the+class+of+2023+graduation+at+Crownpoint+High+School+on+May+25th%2C+2023.+
Ellianna Tsosie
Shondiin Morgan, Mikaela Hope Silva, Rain Venice Alexandra Malunes, Simone Tom, Jewel Prettyweasel, Latanya Chavez, Ellianna Tsosie, and Tyrosen Woody pictured at the class of 2023 graduation at Crownpoint High School on May 25th, 2023.

Why is the Crownpoint Colorguard Program discontinued? It is a question from many parents and friends. Even the audiences of football games are wondering why we do not have the “flag people” and why the National Anthem is the only thing that correlates to paying respect for our country. Or why there are no school functions with the cadets posting the colors anymore. They were busy all summer with pow wows and parades, but now we see no correspondence to color guard. 

What was the Crownpoint Colorguard Program? 

Glenn WhiteEagle, a veteran and now New Mexico History teacher at Crownpoint Middle School, was the commanding officer who ran the program for many years. Whiteagle ran the program until we had online learning, which we know delayed most schools, including Crownpoint. It was considered in stand down until the program restarted in the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year.  

Many cadets happily joined from both the Crownpoint Middle School and High School with the support of the district, veterans, and parents. They performed at football games, volleyball games, basketball games, ceremonies, parades, promotions and even at the New Mexico State Capitol in Santa Fe. To be a part of the Crownpoint Colorguard was a fun but serious program that was beneficial to the members.  

Which leaves us with the question, why did it have to end so suddenly? 

“I’m disappointed that color guard has come to an end” says Rain Venice Alexandra Malunes, a fellow colorguard cadet, ranked Lance Corporal Malunes before the program had suddenly taken a pause. 

What was the purpose of the program? 

In an interview with Rain Venice Alexandra Malunes, we learned that the program taught the cadets to be responsible, disciplined, active and respectful. This was the response when I asked her the question, “What did this program teach you?” She said, “The program taught me to be patient and to pay more attention to my surroundings.” And when asked, “Will you continue those teachings?” She responded, “Yes, I will continue to follow such principles because they have taught me to be more disciplined and will teach others in the future.”  

In the interview with Malunes, she emphasized that the main teaching of the program was to teach students to be more responsible and respectful. 

Glenn WhiteEagle stated, “It was a lifeline to get students involved and on track with their plans for their future.” In the interview with WhiteEagle, he also noted that the program taught the cadets leadership skills, academics a priority, and respect and honor for our Veterans.  

How was it beneficial?  

The cadets had many opportunities in this program. They had time with a man of wisdom, that’s for sure. The cadets took trips to New Mexico Military Institute where they learned about the school and what it is like to be in that prestigious position. They witnessed speeches from various graduates and successful individuals that influenced them to become accomplished and humble.  

But that is only a fraction of what benefited them and what helped them develop. They also learned how to do various things such as community service, proper etiquette, and what it is like to be in the military.  

Being in color guard has also helped those cadets who want to join the armed services. As they know what to expect and what they will do. He even said that “I hope they continue what we taught them and use to graduate with.”  

Mr. WhiteEagle  

They had many role models to look up to. With that, I would like to dedicate this segment  of this article to Glenn WhiteEagle, the Cheíí I never had, and never knew we needed. 

Mr. WhiteEagle was cheerful throughout the year, even when some cadets had to be put in to stand down for grades and immoral behavior. He always had a smile on his face and a good attitude. He inspired us and cadets to be strong and have compassion. Many parents thank him for teaching their children those concepts.  

Nonetheless, I would like to thank Mr. WhiteEagle for making these experiences possible for them and myself.  

He would also like to thank the cadets that he guided through the years. In the interview, he said, “It has been great these past four plus years. It was an honor to teach and train the cadets and families. Thank you,and it was a privilege and humbling experience to work with each of you and see you grow and perform.”  

From a distinct perspective 

We see from parents, relatives, and friends in a survey, how they feel about the discontinuing of the program in a survey. In a survey with 27 participants, we see that 27 out of 27 parents, friends and teachers still wanted the program to continue. 

Survey indicating community members who think Colorguard should continue.

Many parents, teachers, students, and friends enjoyed the performances and were even inspired by them. A survey response shows that 25 out of 27 were inspired to see these performances. 

This program inspired many people and even veterans recognized their efforts in their performances.  

Survey indicating who felt inspired by Colorguard performances.

The resolution  

Although many wished that the sudden pause never happened, we still have football games to look forward to. Since that is what people are not envious about according to the district and other schools. We do not know what might have changed their minds so suddenly. Mr. WhiteEagle believes that they are not allowed to continue because of jealousy. If that is true, we don’t blame them for their envy, I mean, look where the cadets are now. It is unclear why the prestigious program suddenly ended, but we can cherish the memories we have and the positive impact the Colorguard has had on the community.  

But there are several reasons to bring back the Colorguard program. Glenn WhiteEagle is leaving Crownpoint High for Northwest High School. On that thought, he says, “I hope that someone can take over it and continue – hard to do but can be done. Kids really need it as an outlet.” Leaving his former position vacant, and to be continued.